Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Goodbye Mum

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

There are two days each year that I simply don't like. One is typically in early spring and the other in the autumn. Each years these particular days get just a little harder causing me to become just a little more reflective. It happens that yesterday was one of those days and this morning, while I tap on the computer, I am being reflective.

When we reflect on our lives and look at our own characters, we see the effect that so many people have had on our lives. My Father had a strong work ethic, so I understand the need to work hard. A mentor of mine, Bryn Sutton, knew how important people are, so I try to show genuine interest in people. But, of all the people to influence me, my Mum (Mom in the USA) sits above them all. She taught me right from wrong, she taught me integrity and, above all, she demonstrates the love of Christ every day of her life.

My Mum visits us twice a year, and my children get very excited about her visits. She stays for 3 - 4 weeks during which time our home is kept nice and clean. She allows time for Christi and me to have a date or even an overnight stay somewhere, and she usually makes her trip coincide with Officers Councils, a 4 -5 day conference during which time we are out of town.

Next time I see my Mum she will be 73 years old. She is a healthy septuagenarian, but with each passing year we wonder how much longer she will be able to keep this up. Her independence is remarkable (my Father passed away 18 months ago, following 11 years in a Nursing Home) and her sense of duty and giving are an inspiration to me.

Suffice to say, yesterday I took her to the airport. We sat in the airport for about 2 hours, just talking about out family and about faith...and then she had to go. My next stop was for Band Practice so, on the way to my rehearsal, I stopped off a a Chinese restaurant. I was rather melancholy so, as I sat down, I pulled out my blackberry and opened up a Bible application and started to read God's word. Although reading scripture should be quite natural for me, I felt my Mum would approve of me reflecting in such a manner. It was then that I thought of the scripture verse at the top of this blog. Mum has always been avid in her daily devotions and, although I don't hold a candle to her discipline, my need to be in the word comes from her example.

Parents, realize that you are the greatest influence on your children. If you have a short fuse they will probably inherit a short fuse, if you are loving they will probably be loving, and if you take God seriously then they will probably take God seriously. Even if your children wander, your example will never leave them. So before you do anything else today, take time to thank God for your parents.

2 comments:

  1. You should have a "Likes This" button.

    Your blog encourages me so much in my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you much Tristan. I'm so sorry that I have not posted lately (my new blog explains something of the reason) but your comment is so encouraging to me. I will work on a "Likes This" button.

    ReplyDelete