Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Best laid plans...

For the past two years, sports megastar David Beckham has worked to resurrect his International soccer career in the hope of making one last trip to a World Cup. He has suffered the scorn of LA Galaxy fans as they try to understand why he is playing in Milan rather than starting the MLS season with them while TV pundits question his commitment to the team. The England Coach told him that he needs to play more in order to be considered for the World Cup squad...so play he did, only to suffer a serious injury that puts him out of action for 6 months thereby missing the World Cup. Simply put, he dedicated the past two years of his life to the dream of one more World Cup, but now its all gone.

In many ways, I have dedicated the past year of my life to something very specific, the decision of which is out of my hands. I have upset a few folk (this thing involves change, and people don't like change) and I have run myself to near exhaustion on a couple of occasions. I feel that everything will work out but, what if it doesn't? Boy that will be hard to accept, that will be hard to swallow. The work is mine, but the decision is elsewhere so how will I feel about those who make the decision? How will I face those who had helped me through this process knowing that I have failed?

These thoughts had been going through my mind, and I was sharing my concerns with a friend and mentor. This man has been as much a support to me in this process as anybody and by rights should be the first in line to tell me that I have failed. But as after I shared my thoughts, he reminded me of something very important. "If God wants us to succeed we will, but if He doesn't then we won't." This is so important for me to remember. I have great hope that things will succeed but, if they don't, the decision will have been right.

I don't know about David Beckham's religious views but I don't see much evidence of any. He seems to be a very reasonable fellow, but that reason will only take him so far in trying to understand WHY! I would imagine that he is going through some form of torment as the reality of his injury sinks in, and the consequence of missing the World Cup is realized. If only he would join the handful of folk who read this column an take the words from 1 Peter 5:7

"Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."

This is the belief of the Christian and it holds me in good stead at times of disappointment. How I wish so many more would accept who Christ really is and experience that lack of anxiety during the most difficult of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment